Subject: Re: ScreamerNet Questions
From: Mark Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 10:11:52 EDT

Allen Hastings writes:
> >    Is the Raptor worth the money? Would it be more cost effective to
> >get a few Pentiums or high end 486(100MHz) machines instead

> I believe the CPUs in the Raptor run at 150 MHz
> and there are two of them, so a Raptor ought to be worth about
> seven and a half 486/66s.

And when doing your cost comparisons, keep in mind that you will need a
butt-load of memory on each of those PCs (32-64MB if you have a fair amount
of scene complexity) and WinNT is going to eat about 12MB. With 32MB and a
basic 486/66 times seven and a half, you have about $19K.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   [email-masked]        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~